Home » News » “Got Milk?”: How Research Sparked the Birth & Death of the Famous American Campaign

“Got Milk?”: How Research Sparked the Birth & Death of the Famous American Campaign

Remember the “Got Milk” Campaign? Americans were drinking milk by the gallons to grow and maintain strong bones. A plethora of published research studies backed the science up. It was believed that calcium in milk was readily bio-available upon consumption and once it entered the body your bones would become stronger overtime. Celebrities, athletes, scientist, and eventually the public were all convinced that milk was responsible for building strong, healthy bones. Recently, this concept of milk and strong bones has been scrutinized by new research. Many research studies found that there is no relationship between milk consumption and strong bones. Some studies even concluded that milk consumption may actually weaken bones strength. In this paper I analyze various studies supporting and undermine this theory. I assess the relative strength and weakness of each study and eventually conclude with my views on this topic.